Friday, June 19, 2015

Dax's Birth Story

If you don't know already, Dax has arrived!!! 

Here is how it happened... 

We were set to have an induction Friday June 19th (today) and I just knew that he would NOT come before then. I decided to TRY and put it out of my mind and live life without thinking about it. Easier said than done. I made a daily countdown for Caleb and each passing day he grew more and more excited. To pass the time, I made plans for every day leading up to induction. We had a jammed pack schedule. The only day we didn't have anything planned was Sunday June 14th... we left this day open so that we could relax and enjoy being a family of 3 since it was Casey's last day off work before Dax came. 

Then Sunday morning happened!!!

Sunday about 4 am I woke up tossing and turning with some pains. I fought through them and fell back to sleep. Then about 5:30 am I woke up to this horrible pain and then heard a loud clicking noise, kind of sounded like breaking a stick in half. I was uncomfortable and felt very wet so I decided to hit the bathroom. My undies were wet so I changed them and went back to sleep... I probably just peed myself. Then about 30-45 minutes later, I felt wet again so I got up and changed my undies again. Maybe it was my water? I decided to read up on how to determine if it was your water or not. See, with Caleb it was one big gush and I knew for sure... this time around it was just enough for my undies to be soaked. 

I decided to wake up Casey and to follow the instructions I found on the internet. They said to lay down for 30 minutes with dry undies, you should feel some pooling of water and when you stand up after the time is done and your panties are wet... you probably ruptured. 

We tested this and lets just say my undies were wet for a 3rd time since 5:30 am. It was about 8 am and we decided to head to the hospital. We made all the phone calls, got Caleb up and ready and waited for my sister to pick him up. We were in Labor and Delivery triage by 9 am!

The nurse there checked if what was leaking was in fact my water by sticking a q-tip in it and putting it in a testing thing. While it was processing, she went ahead and checked me... and when she did... WATER EVERYWHERE!!! Seriously it was a HUGE gush! She said "You are dilated to a 5, your water is officially broken and I am throwing this test out because I already know what it says." 

By 10 am we were admitted and ready to get the show on the road. 

After being admitted, my contractions stopped. I wont lie, I was disappointed and I was nervous they were going to make me go home, I was just sure that this was all a dream, it felt so surreal like at any moment I was going to wake up in my bed at home. I told the nurse they had stopped and she said she would give it until 12 and then would check me again (didn't want to cause any infection) and then decide to start pitocin... by then I was a 6. The pitocin kicked in right away and contractions started again. They were very close together and very strong... bring on the epidural!!

Life with the epidural was wonderful. I was able to enjoy my company that had come to visit. Talk with Caleb and reassure him everything was perfect. Play on my phone texting, calling and updating social media... and smiling for pictures!! 

They checked me again around 2:30 and I was dilated to a 9... I wont lie, I cried a little, not because I was sad but because it was happening!!! I was SO excited to start pushing and hold my baby boy!!

Around 4 pm I felt pressure to push. The nurse came in and worked with me and Casey (he did so good yall, he was a pro at holding my legs, counting, having me breathe, etc.) on pushing Dax out. I had to work him down for about 20 minutes before the real action started. 

Casey started to get really excited because he could see hair... dark hair!!! I prayed for dark hair... Right when I was losing my motivation on pushing, he tells me about the dark hair, the nurse brings in a mirror to let me see, and I am back in the game. Let me just tell you, watching yourself push in a mirror was the COOLEST thing EVER! Seriously, I wish I would have watched with Caleb too. It was so empowering and motivating (pushing can take it out of ya). I watched every single second and watch as he entered the world. It was AWESOME!!!

The doctor came in, prepped, had me push 4 times and at 4:49 pm Dax Marshall Flowers entered the world. It was one of the most perfect days in my life. He was perfect!!! He weighed 7 pounds 13 ounces and was 20.2 inches long... he is a tiny baby compared to Caleb! 

Sadly, he was grunting instead of crying so the NICU nurses had to come down and check his breathing. They decided it was best to take him to the NICU to clear his lungs and watch him. Daddy went with him to make sure he was okay. Luckily it was a short lived visit and he was back in my arms by 7 pm. 

Our family is now complete! It is crazy to be sitting here writing this blog on what I had planned to be Dax's birthday... he had other plans and boy am I glad he did. I loved being able to experience my water breaking (again) and the excitement of telling everyone I was in labor. It was a perfect birth story that ended with a perfect baby boy!!!

Want more pictures? Check out my IG account Jordashflowers 
Make sure your a fan of Alicia Mitchell Photography on Facebook, she will be posting Labor and Delivery AND Newborn photos of Dax!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment