Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Caleb's Birth Story

With Dax's arrival getting closer and closer every day, it has really made me stop and remember Caleb's arrival. I know I have shared bits and pieces with you all but I don't think I ever shared the whole story with my blog... so today I want to take a minute and take a stroll down memory lane!
 Sunday September 20th, 2009... my due date! I was determined to have this baby on my due date, so I walked all day long. Actually I had been walking for weeks. I did the birthing ball. I ate pineapple. I bounced up and down the stairs. I had the massages done. I went for a pedicure. Everything I could do (except for have sex because I was single, boo). That afternoon my sister needed to hit up Wal-Mart for some dinner items. It was Cowboys game day and we had some football to watch that night and so we needed dinner to be prepared early. No one likes to miss the game because they are cooking. While at the store, I was having horrible contractions. The ones that make you stop where you are, hunch over and cry in pain. Both of my sisters had already had babies and they both had their water break... I was determined to have mine break too before heading to the hospital.
I called my mom on the way home and told her about the contractions and like any good mom, she wanted me to go to the ER right then... but like I said earlier, the Cowboy were playing that night and I did not want to miss the game. Heck my water hadn't even broke yet. I made her a promise, I would go to the ER after the game if my contractions kept up, so I sat there watching the game (they lost, boo) and timing my contractions. They were about 7-8 minutes apart. Mom came over, picked me up and took me to the ER.
The lady there was RUDE!!! Seriously one of the rudest nurses ever... I wanted to punch her in the gut. And no, it wasn't just because I was in labor, my mom thought she was rude too. I was (still) dilated to a 3 and 90% effaced so they sent me home after 6 hours of watching me. On the way home, I was ticked that my mom wanted me to go in. The nurse told me to NOT come back until my water broke or my induction date was here (I was to be induced Wednesday September 23). I went home, went to bed and swore that I was done trying for him to come... I gave up!!!
Monday September 21st, 2009... I woke up around 8am and my plan for the day was to go potty, get back in bed and watch tv all day long. The next few days I was going to be a couch potato!!! I walked to the bathroom and heard a click/pop sound immeditaly followed by a GUSH of fluid between my legs!!! OH MY GOSH MY WATER BROKE!!!!! My niece was standing at the end of the hallway with her friend (they were 4) and they witnessed the whole thing... those poor kids! My sister was outside mowing so I had to go to the window and bang on it until she noticed me. My mom quickly came over and took me back to the ER... you know that place we were just at a couple hours earlier?!
The mean nurse was STILL there!!! She told me that my water did NOT break and that I was overreacting. Luckily my doctor was on call and he went ahead and admitted me. I was a 4 and 100% effaced and when he went to break my water (because the nurse told him it didn't break) he found that it was already broke... take that mean nurse!
I chose to NOT get an epidural and told my Aunt to not let me have one until I said the magic words "I swear on my Gaga's grave!"... that happened around 7cm and when I said it, she was out the door faster than I have ever seen her move before. My Momma and my Aunt Dee were my rocks during my labor, since I was single... they were it for me! They cheered me on, kept me going and held my hands after it was done.
Fast forward a couple hours... 5:30pm and I was ready to push. The doctor had to leave at 5:30 but came in to check me and decided he would conference call into the dinner he was supposed to be at. So there we were pushing Caleb out into the world and Dr. Read was on a conference call. He kept saying things like "That is perfect" or "Oh yeah here we go" and I wasn't sure if he was talking to me or the phone... kind of funny now that I think about it. When my momma heard me pushing she was in the restroom in my room and she can running out with her pants down around her ankles trying to pull them up because she didn't want to miss a thing! Haha!!
I pushed for about 10-15 minutes and then my mom started to cry and say "I see his head" and I knew it was game time... one more big push and he was here!!!! Caleb Scott Lassiter 9 pounds 4 ounces and 22 inches long!!!
Sad part of it all, when my water broke I had a lot of meconium (he pooped inside of me) in it and so the NICU was there to whisk him away because his breathing sounded horrible. I was able to hold him for a total for 5 minutes. I wasn't able to hold him again until 24 hours later. It was the worst 24 hours of my life... While in the NICU we also learned he broke his shoulders coming out. Poor kid!
He lived in the NICU for 7 days and on the 7th day I was able to room in back at the hospital (I had to leave on day 3) with Caleb in my room. Then on day 8, we were able to take him home!!! But the fun wasn't over then... my mom was driving home and this guy stopped in front of us for no reason (he just wanted someone to hit him, his car was crap) and we got in a wreck. Luckily it wasn't bad enough for Caleb to go back to the hospital. I was so ready to just take him home!!!  
I cant wait to do it all over again with Dax!!! I am crazy but I actually am looking forward to the labor part to start... knowing I am pushing a baby out of me and into the world, WOW!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment