Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Portion Control - playing tricks on your mind!

Have you ever heard the saying “It’s not what you are saying; it’s how you are saying it” My parents use to say that to me all the time. Well, I am not relating it to my weight loss journey (kinda). “It’s not what you are EATING; it’s how much you are eating!”
If you look on the back of your favorite packaged food you will see the nutrition facts that are broken up by servings. If you are trying to lose weight, these nutrition facts can become your best friend if you really pay attention to them. Along with the nutrition facts, you will also want to start paying attention to what you use to serve your food on (ie: plates, bowls, and cups). Together these two things can help kick start your change of lifestyle in the food department.
Let me elaborate more… This morning I had a bowl of cereal. Before I started losing weight, I would just pour cereal into a regular bowl until it reached the top and then poured my milk in. Now, I look on the nutrition facts and see that ¾ a cup of dry cereal is 110 calories. I get out my measuring cup, measure it out and pour it into a small bowl (I use Caleb’s bowls or a small ice cream bowl). Look at the pictures below and see what a difference it will make when you measure stuff out and use the correct plates, bowls or cups to serve yourself and others. It’s all about playing tricks on your mind, the fuller the plate the more satisfied you are. If you use a smaller plate then your healthy portion looks like a whole lot more then it would on a regular size plate…
Breakfast – ¾ cup of cereal

Juice – ½ cup of OJ


Dinner – 1 cup of veggies and turkey sausage



No comments:

Post a Comment