Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall is here - Pumpkin everything please!

Happy Fall Y'all... I know its been Fall for a couple weeks now but I am just now getting in the mood. Today was the 1st pumpkin flavored food I have had since... well last Fall and with this cooler weather, I have decided I am ready to get happy about this season. Don't get me wrong, I love Fall but I also love Summer and was very sad to see it go...

Yesterday we celebrated all the October birthdays in our office, we had breakfast on each floor and then had a dessert to follow. By the time breakfast was delivered to our floor, I had already eaten my oatmeal so I really didn't have a problem saying no. All I could hear were the pumpkin cookie calling my name. I decided that I was going to have 1 cookie all day long and be fine with that... old Jordan would have eaten the whole plate before anyone even had a chance to claim one. Nope, not this new improved Jordan. I replaced my morning snack (dried bananas) with a pumpkin cookie and went on with my day. It wasn't until this afternoon when I went to get my afternoon snack (fiber bar) that the cookies were yelling "JORDAN" even louder... I told myself NO and went back to my desk. Then it all went down hill... I went into the kitchen to get 3 cookies for Caleb (every day I take him an afternoon snack to eat on the way home since he eats lunch so early). I put those 3 cookies in a baggie and took them back to my desk... all I heard was "Jordan, eat me... JOR-DAN... Jordy... HELLO JJJJJOOOOORRRDDAAANNN!!!" And then I caved... I ate another cookie! Now Caleb has 2 cookies to eat on the way home and I am NOT eating anymore, I promise! I will NOT be that Mother who takes food away from my child. 2 cookies is enough for the kid, he didn't need 3 anyways... so... really I was helping him out. HAHA!


I got to thinking, seriously there has to be away to enjoy the Fall and still eat the foods... so I went to my new best friend, Pinterest and found a pumpkin cookie recipe that is probably as healthy as you are going to get when making pumpkin cookies... here ya go!


1 cup of almond meal
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 cup of cooked and mashed yam, pumpkin, or butternut squash
¼ cup coconut milk
2-4 tablespoons maple syrup

Preheat oven to 400. In a mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.  In another small mixing bowl whisk together the egg, coconut milk, and maple syrup.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.  Add the mashed yam, pumpkin, or squash to the dough and mix well.  Grease a baking sheet with coconut oil or organic grass fed butter and scoop about one heaping tablespoon per cookie onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.  Makes approximately 15 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment