Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Cancer Sucks!

I had a reader email me asking if I would share their story on my blog and after hearing her story (and bawling my eyes out) I of course said YES!

Before I share Heather’s story, I want to share a little with you why her story made me cry (other than the fact I am a sappy person and cry all the time)…

When I was a child (shortly after my grandma died, which hit me very hard) my Mom sat us kids down and told us some news that would end up changing our lives forever… My mom and Step Dad proceeded to tell us that my Mom had cancer and the doctors weren’t sure if she was going to live. Talk about sucky timing… my Gaga just died and now my Mom is dying too?! Thankfully, they were able to catch it in time and with chemo and the power of God, she was healed! My Mom and I don’t always see eye to eye and we fight more than most mothers and daughters do, but I wouldn’t trade that crazy woman for anything. I chalk up a lot of my weight gain to emotional eating, dating back to when my Gaga died… I couldn’t imagine how bad it would have been if my Mom would have been taken from me too. Hello World’s Biggest Woman award!!!

Okay so on to Heather’s story:
I am a wife, mother, and a mesothelioma survivor. When my daughter was 3 ½ months old, I was diagnosed with this rare and deadly cancer, and given 15 months to live.  My prognosis was grim but I knew that I needed to beat the odds for my newborn daughter, Lily.  It’s been 7 years now and I feel that it is my duty to pay it forward and inspire others.
I clung on to hope throughout my whole journey with mesothelioma. When you have hope, it makes the battle easier.  I want people to be inspired by me, I want to make them fight; give them something to hold on to when all else fails. That is why I do it.  If I inspire one person, I've done my job.
I'm using my personal story to help raise awareness of this little known cancer, and to provide a sense of hope for others facing life’s difficult challenges.
Here is a video of my story that I am hoping to use as a tool to raise awareness. I would love it if you would be willing to share it on your blog with your readers!
Here is the link: www.mesothelioma.com/heather

No comments:

Post a Comment