Tuesday, March 8, 2011

10k Journey

A lot of people have asked me how my run went and so, pull up a chair, sit down and get comfy because I am about to tell ya!!!
It was a cold morning and very windy. I woke up at 5 am that morning, partly because of the wind being so loud and partly because of my nerves. I was scared to death I was going to sleep in and miss this run!!! I went and picked up Ashley and we arrived at Boopa’s to get our chips and scoop out the place with plenty of time to spare. I could feel my nerves building and building, but I was more excited than anything. We lined up, they gave a speech, sang the national anthem and then blew the horn and we were off.
I am use to doing 5k’s (3.1 miles), so I knew that the 1st few miles would probably end up being cake for me. I was right, until the 5k runners (Ashley and Berns) made their loop leaving me on the journey alone. That 1st mile as an official 10k runner was kind of rocky for me, I kept thinking “I can turn around now and just do the 5k, that’s good enough.” But something inside made me push forward and turn onto the next street. Approaching miles 2 and 3, I started thinking back along my journey over the past year, thinking of all the times I just wanted to give up but I pushed forward. Every memory gave me a new sense of freedom from “Fat Jordan”; it gave me the burst of energy I needed to push up the hills or through the wind. Mile 3 and Mile 5 was 110% uphill with the wind in my face the whole time, pushing me backwards. I put my head down and just gave it hell. All I could think about was every single person I was proving wrong, everyone that ever called me a name for being overweight, and everyone who never thought I could change my life. Mile 6 I think was the most difficult mile for me. I knew I was almost done but a song came on “Fucking Perfect” by Pink, and I started crying to the point I couldn’t breathe. I was crying because this was emotional for me, I changed my life. I was doing something I never thought I could do and I was doing all by myself… that’s when it hit me, I wasn’t alone. Standing at Mile marker 6 was one of the most amazing people that I have ever been blessed to meet, Lo. I could see her smile from quarter mile back! She gave me that push that I needed, like she has done so many times before. I was overjoyed to have her there finishing my race with me.
I did it. I have completed my 10k. I have changed my life. I have impacted other people’s lives.

I. DID. IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment